Estrogen in the right balance is an important hormone for female sexual development and menstrual regularity, bone and skin health and even brain activity and mood. When that balance is thrown off, vaginal atrophy is among the many discomforts women can experience. Estrogen levels can be reduced by:
- Natural aging process
- Certain types of contraceptives, including the contraceptive injection and the combined pill
- Lack of arousal before intercourse leading to non-production of a woman’s natural lubricant
- Breastfeeding or childbirth
- Hormonal cancer treatments, chemotherapy, and radiotherapy to the pelvic area
While vaginal atrophy can occur at any age, one of the main times for women to experience discomfort is when entering menopause and there is a drop in estrogen production in the ovaries.
This causes the vaginal epithelium to become atrophic and physiological lubrication is reduced. Physical discomforts include vaginal dryness, irritation, itching, burning, dyspareunia (painful sexual intercourse); all which can lead to decreased libido, causing sexual distress both to the patient and her partner.
Perimenopausal women with other medical conditions that reduce the levels of estrogen in the body can also develop vaginal atrophy.
Non-Hormonal Vaginal Cream
Vaginal issues can be embarrassing to discuss with your doctor, but help is available. Current lubricant therapies are short term solutions and don’t actually restore the vaginal tissue, but women with vaginal dryness, atrophy and loss of elasticity are getting relief with the unique approach of non-estrogen vaginal cream.
Applying a cream with all natural ingredients is the best choice for women who have a history of estrogen-positive cancers and a family history of cancer.
At The Healthy Choice Compounding Pharmacy, we have created a cream with the perfect combination of ingredients including:
- Hyaluronic acid which helps moisturizes vaginal membrane and aids in elasticity
- Vitamin E which is anti-inflammatory
- Vitamin A which helps increase the epithelium of the vagina
- And aloe vera to heal and restore vaginal tissue.